La Flor Dominicana Shipping Samplers of Tubos and Lanceros
Cigar lovers who appreciate lanceros and tubos (as well as bargains) will be happy to hear that La Flor Dominicana is currently rolling out sampler packs of both formats across the United States.
Los Tubos is a five-pack of La Flor Dominicana cigars that are each encased in protective tubos (Spanish for tube). The attractive tubos come in a decorative wooden box that, according to Jon Carney, vice president of sales for La Flor Domincana, will retail for $42.
“We wanted this sampler to represent the diverse nature of our premium cigar offerings and provide a mix of mild, medium- and full-bodied cigars,” said Carney.
Los Tubos sampler, from left: Ligero 250 Tubo, Air Bender Matatan, Suave Maceo, Oro Tubo Maduro No. 6, Double Ligero Crystal Tubo.
The tubo sampler includes the following cigars:
- Suave Maceo: This 5 inch by 48 ring gauge smoke is one of the company’s earliest blends, which is a Connecticut wrapper with Dominican binder and fillers.
- Air Bender Matatan: A 5 by 50 robusto that was Cigar Aficionado‘s No. 23 Cigar of 2011, the all-Dominican filler and binder is covered by an Ecuadoran Habano wrapper.
- Ligero 250 Tubo: Measuring 4 3/4 by 48, this full-bodied smoke uses ligero tobaccos grown on the La Flor Dominicana farm in its filler and sports an Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper.
- Oro Tubo Maduro No. 6: This 6 by 54 cigar, which is fittingly housed in a golden tubo (oro is Spanish for gold), is draped in Cuban-seed wrapper grown in Nicaragua with Dominican filler and binder.
- Double Ligero Crystal Tubo: Housed inside a clear tube, this 5 3/8 by 52 ring cigar features an Ecuadoran Sumatra wrapper with Dominican binder and filler.
Los Lanceros sampler, from left: Air Bender Villano, Double Ligero Oscuro, Coronado, Double Ligero Natural, Cameroon Cabinet.
Also hitting stores is Los Lanceros, a five-pack of lanceros that Carney says highlights cigars that were first released as limited editions within La Flor Dominicana’s regular-production lines. Housed in a modest wood box with each cigar in its own compartment, each of the lanceros measure 7 1/2 inches by 38 ring gauge.
Included in the lancero sampler, which carries a suggested retail price of $43, are:
- Air Bender Villano: A Cuban-seed wrapper grown in Ecuador covers the Dominican binder and filler, which are grown at the company’s farm in La Canela, Dominican Republic.
- Double Ligero Natural: Sumatra-seed wrapper grown in Ecuador covers a Dominican binder and filler.
- Double Ligero Oscuro: Similar Dominican binder and filler as used in the Natural version, but a much darker wrapper covers this panetela.
- Coronado: Enrobed in a distinct Cuban-seed wrapper grown in Nicaragua’s Jalapa Valley, the oily leaf cloaks powerful Dominican tobaccos grown by La Flor Dominicana. (The Double Corona of this line was named the No. 2 Cigar of 2006.)
- Cameroon Cabinet: A filler mix of Dominican and Nicaraguan tobaccos covered by a Dominican binder and a cover leaf from Cameroon.
[Update: price adjustment]
Source: Cigar Aficianado